Register now for FREE!
Philippine BlackBerry Developer Group (PinoyBBDev) brings you PinoyBBDev Hackathon 2012, a two-day(35 hours straight) coding session that will turn your app ideas into reality. This aims to create awareness on the different technologies in creating applications for BlackBerry. It also show cases the Filipino Talent not just in Asia but around the world. And lastly, the hackathon aims to increase the Filipino Made Apps uploaded in the BlackBerry AppWorld.
This year's hackathon focuses on technologies supported by BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, the upcoming operating system for the new generation of BlackBerry devices.
- Adobe AIR using ActionScript, Flash or Flex
- Android - repackage your Android apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 using Java Android Runtime
- Native with options to use Native SDK using C/C++/OpenGL, or Cascades (C++/Qt)
The event is also open to all UX/graphic designers who want to collaborate with the developers for a more visually-appealing apps.
Hackathon will be held in Alphaland Southgate Mall (6F, Boracay and Balesin Function Rooms), Pasong Tamo Extension corner EDSA, Makati City from August 4 (Sat) 8AM to August 5 (Sun) 7PM.
Prizes and Categories
Every participant will get a t-shirt and assorted BlackBerry items. On top of that, each WINNING team will receive two (2) BlackBerry 16gb Playbook, one (1) brand new BlackBerry Smartphone plus Cash.
There will be a total of five (5) winning teams by the end of the event, one for each category. The categories are:
- Best Android App
- Best Adobe Air App
- Best Native App(NDK/Cascades)
- Best WebWorks App
- Best BlackBerry 10 App
Apps will be judged based on the criteria below and weighted accordingly:
- 25% Viability of business model
- 25% Design quality
- 25% Originality of idea
- 25% Fully functioning App
Each team will have 3 minutes to present their finished app
*The Organizers reserves the right to change the criteria at any point in time prior to the competition.
Day 1 - August 4, 2012
|7:30 am – 8:30 am||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:30 am – 10:45 am||Introductions and presentation|
|10:45 am – 12:00 pm||Lunch Break / Hacking Time|
Day 2 - August 5, 2012
|2:00 pm||End of Hacking|
|2:00 pm – 2:30 pm||Final touches / Presentation Materials|
|2:30 pm – 4:30 pm||3 minute presentations|
|4:30 pm – 6:00 pm||Awarding and closing|
Did You Know?
- BlackBerry has 78 million subscribers and still growing
- There are over 20,000 registered developers in BlackBerry App World
- BlackBerry App World has 6 million downloads of apps per day or 177 million per month
- Most BlackBerry apps users are between 18 and 34 years
- BlackBerry App World is available in 165 markets and growing
- BlackBerry App World has 89,000 apps available (while Apple has 500,000 and Android Market has 400,000). Threat or an opportunity?
- Users buy more apps on BlackBerry App World than on Google Android Market
- BlackBerry App World apps generate 40% more revenue for their developers than Android apps
- 13% of BlackBerry app developers earn over $100,000, more than the revenue of Apple and Android developers
- BlackBerry has a Payment API which supports In-App Purchase and Carrier billing that you can use to monetize your application.
- If you develop today for the BlackBerry PlayBook, your application will automatically be ready to run in BB10 (the brand new operating system for the next generation of BlackBerry smartphones)
Info & FAQ
- Is registration free?
Yes, registration is free.
- How many people are expected to attend the event?
Maximum of 150 participants will be accepted as participants.
- What is the maximum number of members in a team?
A team is allowed to have at most, and is recommended to have, 3 members.
- Can I attend hackathon without joining a team?
Yes, you can. You can also decide whether to join other teams during the pitching session which will happen before the actual coding starts.
- Can I join even I dont have any experience in BlackBerry development?
Yes, as long as you have basic/general knowledge on the supported technologies. Mentors will be available during the event to help you anyway.
- What are the requirements?
The only requirement is to create an application that works with the BlackBerry Playbook/BB10 Alpha Device. Other than that, your imagination is the limit.
- Can I come to the event with a finished app?
Unfortunately no. Only apps developed during the hackathon are eligible to win prizes. Although you can already start planning even before the event.
- What should I bring to the hackathon?
You need to bring your own laptops and any type of software or device which you use to program or design the applications. You also need to bring and present your registration voucher at the registration booth. If you or your team decides to spend the night at the venue, you may also bring pillows, sleeping bags, toiletries, and other necessary stuff.
- I don’t have a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Device, how am I going to test?
Experts from BlackBerry will be helping teams with devices and guidance on how to install your app on the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Device. Simulators are also available for you to test your app right in your laptops.
- Are we required to pitch in our app ideas?
No, teams or individuals may choose to pitch in their app ideas (particularly if they are still looking for team members), or not.
- Can one team create more than one app?
Yes, teams can create more than one app, as long as these apps are created and finished within the hackathon duration.
- Will the event provide food and drinks?
Yes, food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided during the event For two days, breakfast, lunch, dinner (first day only), snacks, coffee and others will be provided.
- Are we required to stay over-night?
No, but just in-case you you wish to work on your app till the next day, the venue is open and we will be providing food/drinks/energy drinks/candies to keep you awake.
- Are there any software/tools we need to install during the event?
In order to install your application to the device, you'll be needing a signature key. To request for free, visit Request for Signature Key. You can do this in-advance or you can do it on the event itself.
- Can we use third-party APIs and hardware?
Yes, you can use third-party apps and/or hardware in your apps.
- What if i have already a working Android App, can i just port it and submit it as entry in the hackathon?
Porting an Android App is so easy in BlackBerry, so we will be requiring you to create an app from scratch using Android then use the tools provided by RIM to port it to BlackBerry.
- Do we need a BlackBerry AppWorld Vendor Account to participate?
No. But if you wish to upload/sell your application in AppWorld, you can create one during the event. All you need to bring is a valid government ID(Driver's license, Passport, SSS ID, and other)
(1360 x 768)
(1024 x 600)
(480 x 360)
(640 x 480)
For inquiries/comments/suggestions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.